Monday, September 22, 2008

Homeschool

After a lot of thought, sleepless nights, more thought and worry, I've decided to homeschool Ian and Emily. It's been sort of rough starting up school in Florida. I've considered homeschooling each one individually at different times. One sleepless night I'll think I'm for sure going to homeschool Emily. Then she starts doing better about going (not being so timid and stuff). Then Ian will have 3 hours of homework (or really bad grades) and the next sleepless night I've decided to homeschool just Ian.

Finally, after lots of consideration, I realized that every time I asked Daniel to just tell me what to do so I didn't have to decide, I was secretly wishing he'd tell me to homeschool. I mean, every time I thought about homeschooling, I just felt more calm. The hours of homework would be solved. The misinformation between teachers and me, the unsure due dates for homework assignments, the kids' ongoing stress about the infamous FCAT that the teachers won't stop nagging about...all that would disappear. And I could help them enjoy school again. (Idealistic, I know.) Anyway, I only wish I'd come to Florida with this decision already made. It would have saved me soooo much stress.

Garrett is still going to the school, all day kindergarden. I don't know if I'll keep him there, but for now, that's the plan. If he's as sad about going as he was this morning every morning...??? Well, don't know if I can take that. But we'll see. He seems to enjoy getting out of the house otherwise. He gets really bored when he's home all day.

Justin is doing pretty good in his middle school, so he's staying there too. The girls find him very cute. Gorgeous, I believe was a word used. And Hot. I lecture him often about staying away from those girls!!

Wish me luck...or just go ahead and pray for me, a lot.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Good Luck! It sounds like you are doing whats best for both you and the kids and that is whats important. I do know that nowadays homeschooling isn't as much preparation because there are so many programs and websites that have all the curriculm (sp?) and testing set up for you, so you just teach and monitor. I am sure Tami can give you some great leads. Isn't it interesting how each child is different and has different needs at different times? I am sure you will see great progress from your diligence. I really miss being around you and your family.

Lots of love,

Carrie

Ivy Skinner said...

Thanks, Carrie. Positive comments are what's keeping me going. It's amazing how much second guessing you can do over this!